Before I get into it let me say that this is not an argument for or against the series. In fact, because I have not watched (and do not plan to watch), I don’t feel like I have the right to comment on it’s existence a right or wrong thing. I am missing facts, and I know this.
However, in my quest to determine if I was going to watch it I have read countless articles about the series – recaps, articles arguing for the series, articles against the series, opinion pieces, articles by the author or producers. I have also spoken to many people who have watched it, Lu included. And I have ultimately decided I will not be watching. And here are my reasons why.
1. I believe it isn’t going to help me heal. My goal for this year is deep healing, and I promised myself I would not consume content that leads in the opposite direction.
2. It takes place in high school, a time that was really confusing for me.
3. My job does not require me to be informed (if I was a teacher or counselor or someone working with young adults and teens, I’d watch, if only to be better able to discuss it).
4. The explicit and graphic nature of it’s content. I can’t watch most graphic movies or television shows, and this one would be no exception.
5. The number of suicides and suicide attempts that have affected my life, and the possibility of those being brought up in too much detail into the present time.
6. I am concerned that ultimately the show will reaffirm beliefs I am spending thousands of dollars a year trying to get rid of – and that I am slowly shedding – beliefs that I do not deserve to be heard, that I am not good enough, and that the struggle will never end. I worry Hannah’s struggle would be too relatable.
I believe that the show has it’s good moments. I believe it highlights a discussion that we desperately need to have. But I will never know if it accomplishes that goal because I am not the right audience.
And I finally know enough about what I need in order to keep myself safe. And so while I am sure there is much to learn by what it has to offer, I will not be watching. And I am really quite happy with that choice.
I’m curious if you’ve watched it or plan on watching it? If you have, I would be interested in your reactions. Let me know.